Next Meeting: Tue, Aug 13 2013
13 Aug 2013 NTSSUG Meeting
6:00 - 6:20 - Welcome, Announcements & Food
6:20 - 7:20 - Getting to Know Power Query -- Devin Knight
7:30 - 8:30 - Data Warehouse Series - Basics and Beyond - David Stein
8:30 - 8:45 - Raffle and closing.
Event Time : Tue, Aug 13 2013 18:00 - 21:00 (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Your Local Time: Tue, Aug 13 2013 23:00 - 02:00
Microsoft Building LC-1
7000 North Highway 161
Getting to Know Power Query
Devin Knight, Senior BI consultant Pragmatic Works
Power Query (formally known as Data Explorer) is a free add-in for Excel 2010 and up that provide users an easy way to discover, combine and refine data all within the familiar Excel interface. With Power Query you can now combine and transform data from a variety of unusual data sources all within Excel, which would have previously required a complex ETL job. Join Devin and learn how you can use Power Query to take your Self-Service BI solutions to the next level.
Devin Knight is a senior BI consultant at Pragmatic Works Consulting. He tech-edited Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Integration Services and was a contributing author for “Knight's 24-Hour Trainer” series, covering SQL Server 2012 Integration Services, SQL Server 2008 Integration Services, Microsoft BI, and SharePoint 2010 BI. Devin has presented at PASS Summit, SQLSaturday events, and Code Camps.
Data Warehouse Series – Basics and Beyond
David Stein, Data Warehouse Architect
David will cover both the basics and gotchas of Data Warehouse Development using the SQL Server 2012 toolset.
Some of the things he'll cover are:
• Basic methodology for evaluating business requirements/needs, obtaining user cooperation, and identifying source data quality issues.
• Data Warehouse basic concepts including Facts, Dimensions, Star and Snowflake Schemas.
• Deep dive into slowly changing Dimension types and how to handle them using T-SQL and SSIS.
• T-SQL Merge Fundamentals and how it can be used to load Dimension and Fact Tables. Yes, I swear the Merge Generation Code will be ready for the presentation. :)
• Understanding the three basic Fact Table types, how they are used, and loaded with SSIS.
• Date Dimension creation and configuration.
• Taking advantage of SSIS 2012 functionality improvements including Environments, Project Parameters etc.
• Strategies for SSIS and database optimization, insuring data integrity, etc.
• And much, much more. Each session will progressively build upon the previous sessions and session material will be posted on his blog. Come watch this exciting and progressive series as David takes you from padawan to Jedi Master.
David Stein is a Data Warehouse Architect. He’s worked in SQL Server Business Intelligence for almost a decade in many roles as both a consultant as well as a corporate employee. He’s designed Data Warehouses from scratch as well as saved projects in serious jeopardy. He is also very active in the community, having spoken at PASS events at all levels, including the PASS Summit, SQL Rally, and at numerous SQL Saturday events and user groups. You can learn more about Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, and other technical topics on his blog at http://Made2Mentor.com or follow him on Twitter @Made2Mentor.